Saturday, March 26, 2011

$4 worth of almond butter



I've been meaning to try making my own almond butter for a while, for reasons of economy as well as an excuse to test the motor of my whizzy stick (I dream of a day when funds allow for a food processor, something like this puppy, the red version). I can get almonds for $8 a kilo, so this batch of butter cost just $4; much cheaper than paying $9+ for a brought 300gm jar.

The whizzy stick proved itself a trooper, and my first batch of homemade nut butter was a success.

Below is how it happened:
Almond Butter
Ingredients
500g whole almonds
4T oil (I used grapeseed)
pinch of salt.

1) Roughly chop almonds first, if you're like me and using a whizzy stick. If not, put almonds and 1T of oil in food processor and pulse/blend. 
2) As the mix moves past the 'ground almond/almond meal' consistency, add the remaining oil.
3) You may want more oil, as mine is still quite 'paste' like. 



Voila- tasty almond butter for all your toast, porridge and snacking needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment