Last Sunday I had a fantastic afternoon of hunting and gathering for fruit and vegetables. I managed to get to the local farmers market, to the fruit and vegie shop and to two road side stalls. Needless to say, I returned with a great bounty, and a
Sadly, I did not get to my small bag of oranges before they started to go a bit shrivelled and sad looking. They were still great to use in baking, so I decided on this fantastic gluten-free citrus cake, which I've adapted from Nigella Lawson's recipe here.
Orange and Almond Cupcakes
· 375g total weight on oranges (3-5 depending on size of oranges)
· 6 eggs
· 225g sugar
· 250g ground almonds
· 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
1. Put the oranges in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each oranges in half and remove the pips.
2. Place the oranges - skins, pith, fruit and all - into a food processor and whiz until smooth pulp, or with a whizzy stick.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then add the ground almonds, baking powder and sugar. Mix until smooth and lump-free. Add oranges to almond-egg mixture.
|Whizzy stick in action|
|Pulp after the whizzy stick|
3. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Line muffin tins with cupcake cases.